The renaturalisation of the Emscher river was started in 2008 and is expected to be complete by 2017.
As part of this process, the Emschergenossenschaft has restored the Quellhof built around 1802 and converted it into a modern training and conference centre. The area immediately adjacent to the farm presents the theme of “Water as a source of life” in historical context. The exhibition in main building documents the structural change of the Emscher region.
The four rooms in the main house were designed with great attention to detail. Quotations from a neighbourhood dispute are embedded in the wall bringing historical struggles of the past back to life.
Historic life provides the backdrop for high-tech equipment enabling the space to be used as a training centre. Thus, history and modernity are brought into harmony with each other and the exterior and interior spaces are both functional and informative.